hi! a couple ideas & questions..

Brit, Irish, Canadian, Australian, US and all around the world board. Language: English

hi! a couple ideas & questions..

Post by Guest »

1st of all CONGRATS for the best swos clone out there. I have a few q's:

1. I see the sprites from the game are in a format that allows editing. So the animations and all the rest could be modified also? It would be a nice thing if u open a part of the site dedicated to the art of other ppl so the best could be used for the next version.

2. IMPORTANT: player switching. In SWOS that was done automatically and IMO was greatly done.
You used the only button for player switching, so how will you implement sliding tackles and headers etc. ?
How will the player know if he will slide tackle or switch players?

Hope that helps & keep up the good work neighbors !
cynik
Someone..

Post by cynik »

oops, I posted that one as a guest, sorry. :oops:
aww only a lick o' paint away there
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Re: hi! a couple ideas & questions..

Post by Massimo32 »

Anonymous wrote: 1. I see the sprites from the game are in a format that allows editing. So the animations and all the rest could be modified also?
Everything in the game is open and can be modified... graphics, sounds, the program itself...
In particular, it's very easy to add new teams and custom kits.
See also:

http://yodasoccer.sourceforge.net/tech.htm
http://yodasoccer.sourceforge.net/kit_tutorial.htm
Anonymous wrote: It would be a nice thing if u open a part of the site dedicated to the art of other ppl so the best could be used for the next version.
Yes, it could be nice... we'll think about that!
Anonymous wrote: 2. IMPORTANT: player switching. In SWOS that was done automatically and IMO was greatly done.
You used the only button for player switching, so how will you implement sliding tackles and headers etc. ?
How will the player know if he will slide tackle or switch players?
This problem will arise soon when we'll add sliding.
Btw if I remember well, in swos the selection was both automatic and manual (and was very effective, that's true!).

To answer your question, the decision would be taken in function of the player-to-ball distance.
We'll probably change the actual system and add some automatic selection where possible.

We're working to add tackling and heading in the next version.
We made a little demo (with a couple of players and a keeper) that works quite good. The next step will be to put all things into the game.

Post by Guest »

Massimo32 wrote:in swos the selection was both automatic and manual.
yes, ure rite, come to think of it.
Massimo32 wrote:To answer your question, the decision would be taken in function of the player-to-ball distance.
We'll probably change the actual system and add some automatic selection where possible.
that's a good idea :D
Massimo32 wrote:We're working to add tackling and heading in the next version.
We made a little demo (with a couple of players and a keeper) that works quite good. The next step will be to put all things into the game.
can it be downloaded, the demo ?
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Post by Massimo32 »

Anonymous wrote: can it be downloaded, the demo ?
It's still incomplete and an executable would crash in some situations.
We changed the shooting system and the new one seem much better.
It allows a greater variety of shoots and improved precision.
Sliding and headings works but must be refined.
We would also like to improve the goalkeeper, expecially with high shoots.

But when it'll be almost finished and before to put it into the game, we'll give the demo to download.
billinho
Someone..

Post by billinho »

Firstly, congratulations on a great game. I've just spent my whole lunchtime beating allcomers with Brentford, and enjoying every minute of it. It isn't Pro Evo, but it has cured my addiction to Match Day on a Java ZX Spectrum emulator! :D

[quote="Massimo32"]To answer your question, the decision would be taken in function of the player-to-ball distance.
[/quote]

On the subject of automatic or manual selection, if you are implementing the decision as a function of the player-to-ball distance, can you give a bias to players nearer your own goal if you don't have the ball? This will reduce the number of times when you can only get control of one of your players who is behind one of their strikers, and the striker gets a virtually unchallenged run on goal. :roll:

I look forward to the next release!
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Post by Massimo32 »

billinho wrote: On the subject of automatic or manual selection, if you are implementing the decision as a function of the player-to-ball distance, can you give a bias to players nearer your own goal if you don't have the ball? This will reduce the number of times when you can only get control of one of your players who is behind one of their strikers, and the striker gets a virtually unchallenged run on goal. :roll:
I see the problem ;)
Yes, player-to-ball distance is the general rule, then we need to tune it in some cases like that...