Cool, but defense lacking?

Brit, Irish, Canadian, Australian, US and all around the world board. Language: English
Ergo

Cool, but defense lacking?

Post by Ergo »

Hi!

Wonderful stuff. :D

I thought I was going to change from Sensi to Yoda but 3 things keep me from it:

1) Can we actually tackle? Or jump or slide for a free ball? I don't know if I have to push some other button (what is the 2nd button for?) but I've never managed to do any other defending than picking a ball from an opponent's feet. Not really fun, defensive players don't do anything much.

2) Sometimes goalkeepers don't catch a very easy ball. Also your attackers don't seem to line up as cleverly as in SWOS to accept passes from midfield. E.g. one attacker ran in the direction of the corner of the field rather than to where I passed the ball into the box, maybe to get to his default position but this ruined the attack. So, AI improvements...?

3) No career mode. :wink: Ok, don't rush that, but it /is/ one of the best features of SWOS.

But it all looks great, I like the flags, team editor, stadion names... maybe there could be weather effects? Though for now the lack of defensive play is the biggest worry. Unless /I/ just can't find the right button.

Oh, and a bug: in one (all?) of the team choosing menus, you can't get to the 'abort' button using cursor keys, only with the mouse.

Good luck with the future work! Looking forward to v 1.0!
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Re: Cool, but defense lacking?

Post by Massimo32 »

Ergo wrote:Hi!

1) Can we actually tackle? Or jump or slide for a free ball? I don't know if I have to push some other button (what is the 2nd button for?) but I've never managed to do any other defending than picking a ball from an opponent's feet. Not really fun, defensive players don't do anything much.
At present it isn't possible to tackle, we're working to implement that in the next beta. The 2nd button at present is only useful during the replay.

Ergo wrote:
2) Sometimes goalkeepers don't catch a very easy ball. Also your attackers don't seem to line up as cleverly as in SWOS to accept passes from midfield. E.g. one attacker ran in the direction of the corner of the field rather than to where I passed the ball into the box, maybe to get to his default position but this ruined the attack. So, AI improvements...?
We're working at goalkeeper also.
And yes, AI at present is very simple and needs to be improved a lot.

Ergo wrote:
3) No career mode. :wink: Ok, don't rush that, but it /is/ one of the best features of SWOS.
Yes, that's a lot farther ;)
Ergo wrote:
maybe there could be weather effects?
Likely yes
Ergo wrote:
Oh, and a bug: in one (all?) of the team choosing menus, you can't get to the 'abort' button using cursor keys, only with the mouse.
Ok, thanks!

Ciao.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Just want to echo what has been said already, the original poster has got it spot on
Yore
Someone..

Post by Yore »

Movement of lines in 4-4-2 system is really 'not good'. Defenders comes to close to goal place. They're 'not thinking'. They're moving like one line. Sometimes it's looks like that -> left defender is opposite the pitch - all others are in 'symetrical' positions of him. :roll:

|------ |
| |
1| 2 3 4|
|____ |

Next thing is 'marking'. I think there should be an option 'man to man' and 'zonal'. Now it's really hardly man to man marking. When my defender is getting the ball, his opponent (attacker) is rushing for retake the ball. Rushing means going behind my denfender back on lenght of the pitch...

One more thing. I think that ball should get slower after bounce on the pitch.

Next thing. Where are supporters? They can sing a songs :P I've got some free mp3s with Lech Poznan's supporters. Some songs and some whoops after score.

And next really important thing - Play Online. Online games are really popular. Multiplayer (online) Yoda mode should make some new supporters came...
Massimo32
Chapman's successor
Chapman's successor

Re: ...

Post by Massimo32 »

Yore wrote:Movement of lines in 4-4-2 system is really 'not good'. Defenders comes to close to goal place. They're 'not thinking'. They're moving like one line. Sometimes it's looks like that -> left defender is opposite the pitch - all others are in 'symetrical' positions of him. :roll:
In the future we'll add a tactics editor, It will allow to change and improve the movements,
Yore wrote: Next thing is 'marking'. I think there should be an option 'man to man' and 'zonal'. Now it's really hardly man to man marking. When my defender is getting the ball, his opponent (attacker) is rushing for retake the ball. Rushing means going behind my denfender back on lenght of the pitch...
This sounds more hard to implement, but who knows...
Yore wrote: One more thing. I think that ball should get slower after bounce on the pitch.
You're not the first to say that. You'll see some changes in the next version.
Yore wrote: Next thing. Where are supporters? They can sing a songs :P I've got some free mp3s with Lech Poznan's supporters. Some songs and some whoops after score.
Send us your files, may be in a next release we'll add custom chants.
Yore wrote: And next really important thing - Play Online. Online games are really popular. Multiplayer (online) Yoda mode should make some new supporters came...
see other threads... :)